Last weekend when the Peterborough DALROD Phantoms and the Basingstoke Bison clashed in Hampshire, the game saw the highest number of penalty minutes seen in the EPL in the last 12 months. This weekend, when the two teams clashed at Bretton the penalties were less but the result was the same with the Bison claiming the points with a 3-0 victory.

The game started at a frantic pace in front of a near capacity crowd at the Peterborough Arena. With just 60 seconds on the clock, Phantoms Alan Lack was called for Elbows, and the visitors made the powerplay pay when on 2.26 Aaron Connolly fired the puck past Janis Auzins in the Phantoms goal.

The visitors doubled their lead on 13.20 when a weak shot from Aaron Connolly somehow bobbled through Auzins, at a time when the Phantoms were starting to come back into the game. In fact, the Phantoms outshot their visitors in all 3 periods by 12-8, 12-9 and 15-5.

The middle period saw both teams testing the netminders, but with Auzins and Dean Skinns in the Basingstoke goal both having strong games, neither teams managed to add to the scoreboard. The middle period also saw both teams hit penalty troubles, with the game seeming to be rarely played as 5-on-5.

The final period started with Ciaron long first receiving a 2+10 penalty for a check to the head (44.23) and then les that a minute later Joe Baird joined him for an extended stay in the penalty box having been handed a 2+10 penalty for a Check from Behind (45.16). The resulting 5-on-3 powerplay saw the Phantoms pass the puck well around the Bison goal, but they could only look on as Skinns stopped each of their shots.

Phantoms Head Coach Slava Koulikov reshuffled his lines in an attempt to break Skinns shutout but without success. With 3.37 left on the clock, and Phantoms on a powerplay, Auzins was pulled for the extra skater, but from the face-off in their own Defensive Zone, Bison won the puck and Joe Greener fired it the full length of the ice, and into the empty Phantoms goal to round off a 3-0 victory for the visitors.

Both sets of supporters did their teams proud, making lots of noise and adding to the games intensity and atmosphere throughout.

Man of the Match went to Dean Skinns for the Bison for his 39 shot shutout, and Alan Lack picked up the beers for the Phantoms.