The Peterborough DALROD Phantoms achieved something on Saturday evening that they failed to do for the whole of last season – win a game in Overtime. It took the Bretton based club just over 3 minutes of Overtime to net the winner and snatch the points from the Guildford Flames.

After last weekends defeat against Basingstoke, the Phantoms came out to show their fans that last week was just a blip, and they had the best possible start with a goal on their first attack. Phantoms won the puck drop, and some nice play saw Edgars Bebris and Darius Pliskauskas team up well as they attacked the Guildford defence. Pliskauskas’s pass across the front of the Guildford goal found Player Coach Slava Koulikov who had the simplest of redirects to place the puck past former Phantom Gregg Rockman and give the home team the lead with just 18 seconds on the clock.

Phantoms were missing forward Milan Baranyk through injury, but the reshuffled lines all had opportunities to extend the Phantoms lead in the opening period. At the other end, Janis Auzins was also being kept busy as the Guildford forwards peppered his goal, but at the first break it was 1-0 to the Phantoms and a 9-7 shot count in the home teams favour.

The middle period saw the Flames come out and dominate the game. Whilst Rockman was a spectator for most of the period, Auzins was the busiest man on the ice as the Phantoms found themselves camped out in their own defensive zone. However, the Phantoms were holding onto their lead and looked to be taking their slender lead into the final period when with just 48 seconds of the period left the Flames equalised.  Danny Meyers pass found David Savage and his pinpoint pass gave Tom Duggan the easiest of tap ins to draw the teams level. Despite the Flames outshooting the Phantoms 20-4 they only had the 1 goal to show for all that effort.

Having weathered the storm in the middle period, the Phantoms came out attacking for the final 20 minutes. Alan Lack and Marc Levers were giving the Flames defence a torrid time in front of goal, whilst Luke Ferrara and Slava Koulikov both came close to giving the Phantoms a game winner. Despite all of the effort the deadlock couldn’t be broken and so it was onto overtime.

Phantoms were on top in overtime and looked the more likely to score as Flames appeared to be looking ahead to penalties. With under 2 minutes left on the clock, Phantoms attacked down the right through Edgars Apelis whose shot from just inside the blueline beat Rockman to give the Phantoms the victory and send the Phantoms fans into hysteria. Not only had they finally won a game in Overtime, but they had also beaten one of the biggest teams in the League.

Man of the Match Awards went to Gregg Rockman for the Flames who faced 29 shots and Marc Levers for the Phantoms who terrorised the Guildford Defence all game.