The Peterborough DALROD Phantoms traveled to Coventry on Saturday to take on the Milton Keynes Lightning for the last time in their temporary home.

Following their overtime win against Guildford and their close defeat by Manchester the previous week, spirits were high in the Phantoms camp ahead of the game.

The game started as a game against local rivals should do, with both teams throwing some big hits as they attempted to take an early advantage. As the opening period ticked past the half way point it was the Lightning who were starting to control the game and on 13.49 a Phantoms error gifted Tom Carlon the opening goal. Just two minutes later and the home sides lead was doubled when some nifty play around the back of the goal saw Blaz Emersic put the puck past Janis Auzins in the Phantoms goal.

Two down after the opening period and it was soon to be three when the Milton Keynes powerplay unit setup Milan Kostourek to fire past Auzins on 22.57. Despite being three down the Phantoms kept fighting and Jordan Hedley, in the Milton Keynes goal, was busy thwarting the attacks.

On 28.59 it was Lightning who were buzzing around the Peterborough goal, and despite Auzins stopping 2 good efforts from Emersic and Leigh Jamieson, it was Emersic who finally managed to get the puck over the line at the third attempt to give the Lightning a 4-0 lead.

In previous seasons, being 4-0 down with half the game still to go, would have seen the Phantoms waving the white flag, but this years team are made of sterner stuff, and already this season they have had to fight from behind to get a result. This fightback started on 31.28 when Darius Pliskauskas setup Edgars Bebris to fire past Hedley to start a 5 minute spell that saw the Phantoms pull the game back.

Alan lack setup Will Weldon to make it 4-2 a minute later and then with Lightning looking on is disbelief the Phantoms netted their third on 35.54 when Scott Robson setup Lithuanian International Darius Pliskauskas. With the large contingent of travelling fans getting behind the Phantoms it was the Cambridgeshire club who finished the period the stronger of the two teams.

The final period started with the Phantoms still the stronger of the two sides and their equalising goal came on 43.23 when Cam McGiffin setup Pliskauskas for his second of the game.

Both teams came close to scoring the all important fifth goal with the hilight being Jordan Heldleys glove save from Milan Baranyk with under a minute of the game remaining, but at the buzzer it was a point each and onto overtime..

Overtime saw the Phantoms come closest to winning the game but as the clock ticked down it was onto penalty shots to see who would claim the extra point.

Round 1 saw Baranyk and Emersic’s efforts both saved.
Round 2 saw Pliskauskas effort saved by Heldley, whilst Milan Kostourek fired under Auzins to give Milton Keynes the advantage.
Round 3 saw Will Weldon attempt to take the puck around Hedley, but the Lightnings backstopper got a pad on the shot to give the hometeam a 5-4 victory.

Man of the match Awards went to Blaz Emersic for the Lightning and Edgars Bebris for the Phantoms.