Sunday evening saw the DALROD sponsored Peterborough Phantoms make their first trip of the season to The Spectrum to take on the Guildford Flames.

Following Saturday evenings defeat at the hand of the Telford Tigers, the Phantoms were looking to claim some points and defeat the Flames for the second time this season, following an overtime win earlier in the season.

The game started well for the Phantoms who took an early lead in the 10th minute through a Luke Ferrara Powerplay goal as Flames Marcus Kristofferson sat out a slashing penalty. Darius Pliskauskas’ shot seemed to get lost in Flames netminder Gregg Rockman’s goal crease, but Ferrara spotted the puck and cooly swept it into the back of the net.

Flames levelled the game just before the first break, when Jozef Kohut made the most of a Flames Powerplay after Alan Lack had been called for tripping. Veteran David Longstaff got the puck to Kohut whose wrist shot from the top of the slot left Janis Auzins in the Phantoms goal no chance.

The home side up’ed the tempo in the middle period and extended their lead on 25 minutes. Marcus Kristofferson robbed the Phantoms of the puck in the neutral zone before going on a breakaway and out-deking Auzins to make it 2-1. Phantoms were holding their own despite being outshot 2:1 in the middle period, and looked to be taking just a 1 goal defecit into the final period when when just over 4 minutes of the period remaining the Flames made it a 3-1 game. Andy McKinney found Danny Meyers out wide and somehow the GB International fired past Auzins from an acute angle.

Despite their best efforts in the final 20 minutes the Phantoms were unable to break down the Flames defence, whilst the Flames kept up the pressure and were keeping Auzins and the Phantoms Defence busy. Two goal in under a minute cemented the Flames victory. On 52.33 a goalmouth scramble saw David Savage get the puck in the Phantoms goal to make it 4-1, and the games final goal came on 53.22 when a diving Matt Towe shot beat Auzins and the Phantoms defence.

Man of the Match went to Jez Lundin for the Flames and Defenceman Tom Norton for the Phantoms.

Despite picking up no points at the weekend, the Phantoms remain at the right end of the League Table, now occupying 3rd place behind Telford and Basingstoke.