The DALROD sponsored Peterborough Phantoms took on the Bracknell Bees on Saturday evening at the Peterborough Arena. After not picking up any points last weekend, the Phantoms knew that had to get something this weekend to remain in then top half of the table.

Phantoms were missing Alan Lack, Cam McGiffin and Scott Robson through injury, but drafted in Brad Moore alongside prospect players Ryan Fraley and James White for the clash.

The game stared well for the homeside with Edgars Apelis slapshot from the blueline leaving Alex Mettam rooted to the spot in the Bees goal to give the Phantoms 1-0 lead after just 3.32 of the game.

Greg Pick and James Galazzi both clashed at 12.26, with both picking up 2+2 for their mid-ice fight. Pick had the takedown, but neither player landed any big punches, so it’s fair to say the fight was a draw.

A tight first period saw the Bees draw level on 15.58 when a pass from behind the goal found Lukas Smital out wide on the redline to somehow fire the puck past Janis Auzins in the Phantoms net from an acute angle. The Bees celebrations were cut short just 35 seconds later when Slava Koulikov’s pass found Darius Pliskauskas unmarked in the slot to fire home Phantoms second of the night to make it 2-1 at the break.

The middle period was just 4 minutes old when the Bees levelled the scoring as Smital claimed his second of the night as he deflected Pavel Stryceks shot past Auzins. It was Auzins and Mettam who were both being kept busy as both teams battled around each others goals looking to take a grip of the game.

At the halfway point the Phantoms made it 3-2 as Pliskauskas again found himself with space in front of Mattams goal to convert Edgars Bebris’ pass. This time it was the Phantoms celebrations which were cut short when juust 56seconds later it was 3-3 as a scramble in front of Auzins net finally found youngster Josh Smith to score his first goal for the Bees.

The final period saw Phantoms continue to press hard, but everytime they broke into the Bees zone, they were met with a sea of Black and Gold, who were snuiffing out the attacks and looking to use their young players speed to catch the Phantoms on the breakaway. Both teams had opportunities to take the points in regulation but as the clock ticked down to zero it was 3-3 and into Overtime.

Overtime saw the Phantoms take control as they fought to win the game and avoid penalties. Three and  a half  minutes in and a face-off to the left of the Bees goal, saw Marc Levers win the draw, force his way forward, deke Mettam a few times before lifting the puck over the stranded netty and into the back of the net to claim the extra point and the victory for the Phantoms.

Man of the Match went to the very impressive Ivan Antonov for the Bees and two goal hero Darius Pliskauskas for Phantoms.