The DALROD sponsored Peterborough Phantoms made the trip to the Steel City on Sunday evening to face the Sheffield Steeldogs in a League and Cup clash.

A large number of Phantoms supporters made the trip to iceSheffield to support a Phantoms side that were missing the injured Alan Lack, Scott Robson, Cam McGiffin as well as Nathan Pollard, Dan Lane and the Prospect Players who were playing for the Peterborough DALROD Islanders. Brad Moore was once again drafted into the team for the second successive week.

When you play against an Andre Payette team, everyone one knows what to expect, both players and fans, and Sunday didn’t disappoint ! The opening 20 minutes saw both teams exchange hits, shots and penalties, but thanks to so me good netminding from both Janis Auzins in the Phantoms goal, and Dalibor Sedlar in the Steeldogs goal, together with the paintwork of the goals, neither team were able to take an early advantage. Phantoms depleted squad were dealt a further blow on 17.58 when Edgars Apelis was dismissed for a boarding call on Lloyd Gibson. The original Match penalty was downgraded to a Game Misconduct following Gibsons return to the game in the second period. Phantoms also saw Tom Norton pick up a 10 minute misconduct penalty at the end of the opening period for comments made to the referee.

The second period started with Phantoms defending a 5-on-4, which then became a 5-on-3 as Will Weldon was called for Hight Sticks. The Steeldogs took advantage of the two man superiority when Greg Wood scored their opening goal on 22.06 with a redirect of Jeff Legue’s pass.

The goal saw the Phantoms step up a gear and after Weldon was denied on a 1-on-1 opportunity the Phantoms finally found a way past Sedlar on 24.19 when a Peterborough Powerplay saw Milan Baranyk pickup Marc Levers cross and cooly backhand the puck over Sedlar to make it a 1-1 game.

With the game settling down, and both teams concentrating on playing Ice Hockey as opposed to knocking lumps out of each other, it was the Steeldogs who turned the game with two goals in a minute to open up a lead. On 29.46 Greg Wood set Jeff Legue through, and the ex-Elite League star showed why he is so dangerous as he broke clear, deked Auzins out of position and put the puck into the empty net on 29.46. 61 seconds later it was a 3-1 game as Tom Squires was picked out unmarked on the back post to leave Auzins with no chance.

With Baranyk, Pliskauskas and ex-Steeldog Edgars Bebris all coming close for the Phantoms, it looked like tyey would go into the break just the 2 goals down, but at 38.01 Steeldogs struck again. This time it was Korhon who burst through the Phantoms defence before finding Andrew Hirst in the slot to fire the puck home and make it 4-1 at the second interval. In the closing minute Greg Pick took a slapshot to the hand, which was to rule him out of the final period.

The final period started with both teams pushing forward. First Greg Wood fired a shot off the Phantoms post, then Bebris did the same at the other end of the rink. At 47.14 Legue scored his second of the night to make it 5-1, but the Phantoms refused to lay down and surrender. Two minutes later and Milan Baranyk took the puck around the back of the Steeldogs goal and his wraparound beat Sedlar, although none of the players or officials initially noticed the puck was in the back of the net !

Despite a lot of pressure from a Phantoms side now down to the bare bones of players, but backed by their loud travelling supporters, Sedlar and the Steeldogs defence were standing tall, denying the Phantoms attacks. The final goal of the game came on 55.55 when Korhon agains found Andrew Hirst to net his second and Steeldogs sixth of the game.

Man of the Match awards went to Jason Buckman of the Phantoms and Jeff Legue for the Steeldogs.

A two point weekend for the Phantoms keeps them in 3rd spot, ahead of the Thursday nights trip to face the Manchester Phoenix, and Sundays home visit of the Milton Keynes Lightning.