Thursday night saw the DALROD sponsored Peterborough Phantoms travel North to face the Manchester Phoenix. Phantoms welcomed back Alan Lack and Scott Robson from injury, but were still missing Cam McGiffin and Gregg Pick. With the team missing defencemen Jason Buckman and James Ferrara both stepped back to the Blue Line as the Phantoms looked to claim the points from the current League Champions.

Phantoms took the lead on an early powerplay in the opening period when with just 1.52 on the clock James Ferrara found Edgars Bebris whose shot left Stephen Fone rooted to the spot in the Phoenix goal.

Bebris doubled the Phantoms lead on 6.27 as he powered through the Phoenix defence, and despite having Frantisk Bakrlik tieing him up, he used his strength to poke the puck, one handed, under Fone to silence the home fans.

Phantoms game plan had been to come and take the point, soak up the pressure and hit on the breakaway and it was a plan they actioned to perfection. It was 3-0 to the visitors on 16.26 when Edgars Apelis picked out Luke Ferrara to fire over Fones shoulder from in front of goal. That goal was to make the end of Fones game, as Declan Ryan replaced him in the Phoenix net.

Phoenix finally found a way past Janis Auzins inthe Phantoms goal with just 11 seconds of the opening period remaining when Adam Walker deflected in a Tony Hand shot from the Blue Line.

The middle period saw the Phoenix push forward, looking to double their tally, but the Phantoms defence, and in particular Auzins in the Phantoms goal, were denying them attack after attack. Their best chance of the period fell to Baklrik, but Auzins was there once again to blank the Phoenix forward.

Into the final 20 minutes and the Phantoms still had their 3-1 lead. The period was end to end with both the Phoenix and Phantoms coming close to scoring before Phantoms took first blood. On 51.15 Luke Ferrara scored the visitors 4th of the night with a nice shot over Declan Ryan’s shoulder.

The Phoenix hit back just 2 minutes later when a short handed attack saw Tony Hand go 1-on-1 with Janis Auzins and fire past the Phantoms netminder.It was too little too late though as the Phantoms held on to claim the 4-3 victory and more importantly the two points.

Man of the Match went to Adam Walker for the Phoenix, and Luke Ferrara for the Phantoms