The DALROD sponsored Peterborough Phantoms went into Saturdays home game against the Guildford Flames looking to avenge last Sunday 5-3 defeat in Surrey. The last time the two teams had met at the Peterborough Arena it was the Phantoms who took the glory with an overtime victory, and this game was to be just as tense.

It was the homeside who took the early advantage from the very first attack of the game. With just 24 seconds on the clock, former Peterborough Phantoms netminder Gregg Rockman, now plying his trade for the Flames, was picking the puck out of the back of the net thanks to a Marc Levers shot that stunned the Flames.

The early goal put the Flames on the back foot and it was the Phantoms who dominated the opening 20 mnutes with Rockman being called into making a number of big saves to keep out Milan Baranyk, Luke Ferrara and Darius Pliskauskas. It was Luke Ferrara who doubled the Phantoms lead on 16 minutes when he combined with brother James Ferrara to finish a good attacking move and make it 2-0 at the first break.

It was the Flames who started the stronger of the two teams after the break, and David Savage pulled one back within 2 minutes of the restart to half the defecit. Tom Norton then restored the Phantoms 2 goal advantage on 26 minuteswith his shot from Baranyks pass leaving Rockman rooted to the spot. Janis Auzins was called into action to make a number of impressive saves as Owen Fussey and Danny Meyers both threatened, but there was little he could do to stop Ben Campbells goal on 39.39 to make iut a 3-2 game at the second intermission.

The final period saw a frenzy of goals within the first 8 minutes as Slava Koulikov and then Darius Pliskauskas scored two quick goals in 41.54 and 43.52 to give the homeside a 5-2 lead. Last week Phantoms showed the Flames that a 3 goal lead means nothing this season, and Flames nearly repaid the Phantoms as first Branislav Kvetan netted on 46.23 aqnd then a minute later Owen Fussey claimed Flames 4th of the night.

Despite the best efforts of both sides, there was to be no further scoring in the game and it was the Phantoms who claimed the 2 points to keep them battling at the top of the league table.

Man of the Match went to Owen Fussey for the Flames and Marc Levers for the Phantoms