Having defeated the bottom team in the EPL on Saturday night, the DALROD sponsored Peterborough Phantoms made it a 4 point weekend with a victory over the top team in the league on Sunday.

The game against the leagues two surprise teams of the season so far, saw the Tigers put the puck in the net within 15 seconds of the game starting, but to their dismay the goal was waved off as the net was off it’s moorings.

It was the Phantoms who took the lead 3 minutes later when the puck found it’s way through a melee of bodies in front of the Telford goal, to Milan Baranyk who’s backhanded shot left Murdy with no chance.

The night got worse for the homeside when after 5 minutes Ricky Plant was ejected from the game on a Match penalty for a check to the head of Cam McGiffin. When Max Birbraer then received a tripping call it was a Phantoms 5-on-3 powerplay as the Phantoms dominated the opening period.

Tigers held strong during the 5-on-3 but within seconds of having 1 skater return to the ice they found themselves 2-0 down as Darius Pliskauskas’ shot from the blueline was redirected to Alan Lack. Lack’s shot was initially saved by Thomas Murdy in the Telford net, but the rebound dropped straight to Marc Levers who punished the Tigers.

It was the Phantoms turn to hit penalty trouble next, and the Tigers scored their opener in a 5-on-3 battle when Jonathan Weaver picked up the puck on the Phantoms Blueline, stepped in to the slot and fired high past a screened Janis Auzins to make it 2-1 after 13 enthralling minutes of play.

The second period was under a minute old when the Phantoms regained their 2 goal advantage over their Shropshire hosts. Milan Baranyk broke down the left wing and his pass across the front of the goal found the unmarked Edgars Bebris at the backpost to score his first of the night.

Tigers response was immediate, with a goal 15 seconds after the restart. Tigers won the face-off and broke into the Phantoms end. Former Elite League star Max Birbraer took the puck behind the Phantoms goal before passing it to the incoming Scott McKenzie who shot low past Janis Auzins to make it 3-2.

The goal revitalised Telford who kept the pressure on the Phantoms. Janis Auzins in the Peterborough net was called upon to make a number of good saves to keep the visitors lead intact.

Tigers were awarded a Penalty Shot in the period when Peter Szabo was brought down whilst on a 3-on-1 breakaway. Szabo started his run out wide, but when he took his shot it was straight at Auzins who had one of his easiest saves of the night to deny the Tigers.

Phantoms extended their lead after 28 minutes when Darius Pliskauskas skated along the blueline with the puck before sending a lob pass goalbound, which Alan Lack – in his last Phantoms game, tipped in to make it 4-2.

With the clock running down on the period, the Tigers cut the Phantoms advantage when Max Birbraer went coast to coast before firing the puck over Auzins shoulder with just 39seconds of the period remaining.

The final period saw both teams play a cagey game of cat and mouse. It took 15 minutes before Phantoms scored their 5th goal on the Powerplay. Some nice recycling of the puck on the left wing, allowed Scott Robson to drift in to the backpost unmarked, where Milan Baranyk’s pass was easily tipped in to silence the home supporters.

A late Telford Powerplay saw them also pull their netminder for a 6-on-4 advantage, and it paid off when Peter Szabo scored through a goalmouth scramble with 44 seconds of the game remaining to make it a 5-4 game, but it wasn;t to be enough and it was the Phantoms who claimed the victory against the League leaders.

Man of the Match went to Nathan Salem for the homeside, and Janis Auzins for the Phantoms.