The DALROD sponsored Peterborough Phantoms made it two wins from two games when they defeated the Basingstoke Bison on Sunday evening at the Peterborough Ice Arena.

Last season the Bison were the only team the Phantoms failed to take home points off, but they made amends with the 5-3 win in front of a large crowd enjoying the first home game of the 2015/16 season.

Phantoms took control of the game from the opening face off and dominated the first 20 minutes of the game. Craig Scott put the Phantoms ahead after 3 minutes when they took advantage of an early powerplay with Bisons Ciaron Long sitting a Slashing penalty.

Two minutes later and the Phantoms lead was doubled as Ales Padalek beat Tomas Hiadlovsky in the Bison nets.

Whilst both teams traded penalties during the next 15 minutes, neither were able to find the back of the net again and at the opening break it was the Phantoms fans who were the happier.

No-one is ever sure what coaches say to their teams during their team talks but it’s probably a good guess that Doug Sheppard was none too please with his teams performance in the opening period. The Bison came out for the second period a different side and were quickly level thanks to a flurry of goals.

Former Phantom Declan Balmer halved the deficit with a Delayed Penalty goal after 22 minutes and then on 26 minutes Tomas Karpov silenced the home crowd with the Bison’s leveller.

Phantoms regained their lead just before the midpoint of the game when a Edgars Bebris rocket from the blueline flew through traffic Hiadlovsky didn’t see the puck until it hit the back of the net.

It was all square once more on 32 minutes when the Phantoms Powerplay unit were caught napping. As Kurt Reynolds penalty for tripping expired Joe Rand came off the bench, picked up a long pass and skated in on the Phantoms goal unhindered before dekeing the puck past Janis Auzins to make it 3-3.

Sixty seconds later and the goal of the game gave the Phantoms the lead once more. Craig Scott won a face-off in the Bison zone, skipped past the defender before sending a pinpoint pass across the front of the goal to the unmarked James Ferrara to tip into the empty net at the backpost.

Scott and Ferrara teamed up for the Phantoms Fifth of the night as Ferrara found Darius Pliskauskas to fire the puck into the Bison goal and give the homeside a 2 goal advantage going into the second period break.

The final twenty minutes saw the PHantoms sit back on their lead and let the Bison attack them. In the battle of the Import netminders it was the Phantoms Janis Auzins who was having a bight to remembers, whilst Tomas Hiadlovsky was having a night to forget.

Auzins made a number of topshelf saves to deny Karpov and Long for the visitors, whilst James Ferrara and Marc Levers went close for the Phantoms at the other end.

With the clock running down Phantoms Greg Pick and Bison’s Joe Rand dropped their gloves for a short bout of fisticuffs, and that was the end of the action as the Phantoms claimed the points.

Man of the Match
Phantoms: Ales Padalek
Bison: Tomas Karpov