The DALROD sponsored Peterborough Phantoms made it a 4 point weekend on Sunday with a 2-0 victory over the current League and Cup Champions the Telford Tigers.

The game also saw Phantoms netminder Janis Auzins record his second shut-out of the weekend as he blanked all of the 41 shots he faced.

The opening period saw both teams trading early penalties, including a spell of Phantoms defending a 5-on-3 powerplay. It was the home team who looked the more dangerous on the attack, and Phantoms Janis Auzins was called upon to deny Joe Miller and Max Birbraer on a number of occasions in the opening 20 minutes.

At the other end, Sam Gospel was also busy between the pipes as he denied Darius Pliskauskas and Ales Padelek golden opportunities to open the scoring.

Phantoms opening goal came midway through the game when Ales Padelek and Lloyd Gibson teamed up for Gibson to fire the puck past Gospel, sending the visiting fans into wild celebrations.

The goal spurred the Tigers who laid siege to the Phantoms goal, registering 26 shots to Phantoms 7 during the 20 minutes. As the buzzer sounded it looked like tempers may boil over as several players exchanged words, including Phantoms Lloyd Gibson and Tigers Blahs Novak.

The final period started with the Tigers looking to dominate the game and claim their first goal of the night, but with just 3 minutes gone their task became harder with the loss of the influencial Novak.

As Telford attacked the Phantoms goal, Novak and Gibson battled for possession of the puck, which turned into a bit of pushing and shoving. Once the whistle had blown, Novak pulled Gibson to the ground, throwing a number of punches in front of the referee. Both men received 2 minutes for the initial skirmish, and Novak also picked up a Match penalty for Roughing.

With 5 minutes powerplay to their advantage the Phantoms set about making the most of their numerical advantage and on 45.16 they doubled their lead. This time it was Padelek and James Ferrara who teamed up to provide Will Weldon with the all important 2nd Phantoms goal.

The goal gave the Phantoms the breathing space they needed, and they switched to a more defensive style of play, content to  let the tiring Tigers do all the work, and then hit them on the breakaway.

As the clock ran down Tom Watkins pulled his netminder for the extra skater with 90 seconds of the game left, but it was the Phantoms who looked the more likely to score an Empty Net Goal as the clock ran down to the final buzzer.

Man of the Match went to Dan Scott for the Tigers and Mr Shutout, Janis Auzins for the Phantoms.