Despite leading three times, the Phantoms found themselves on the end of a 4-3 overtime loss on the road against the Milton Keynes Lightning on Saturday evening.

The home side started strong in the opening few minutes, but found themselves a goal down on 3.35 when Eddie Bebris pounced on Craig Scott’s pass to shoot past Jordan Marr in the Lightning goal.

The goal saw the momentum start to swing, as the Phantoms started to move the puck around on the larger ice, and Marr had to be on the top of his game to deny the Phantoms forward lines the opportunity to increase their lead.

At the other end, Janis Auzins was having just another normal day at the office as he pulled off a number of saves to deny youngsters Jordan Cownie and Lewis Hook who looked the most dangerous of the Lightning players in the opening salvo’s.

12 minutes in and the home side drew level when, against the run of play, the Finnish pairing of Marko Luomala and Markku Tahtinen paired up for Tahtinen to score Lightnings first of the game.

The middle period saw the officials letting the game flow with few stoppages as both teams put on a display of how a local rivalry should be played out.

Phantoms took the lead for the second time on the night on 35 minutes when former Milton Keynes Junior Craig Scott found Robbie Ferrara to beat Marr and make it 2-1 to the visitors.

The final period started with the Lightning drawing level when ex-Phantoms Cownie and Hook once again broke through and this time Hook managed to take his chance and beat Auzins with just under 2 minutes of the period played.

Despite each side having a number of Powerrplay opportunities neither could find the back of the net as the period clock ticked down. With just over 4 minutes of the game left the Phantoms thought they had netted the winner when Cam McGiffin popped up to convert Milan Baranyk’s pass to make it a 3-2 game.

With just over 2 minutes of the game left it was all square once more as Tahtinen turned provider for Lewis Hook to net his second goal of the game and send the tie into Overtime.

Phantoms hopes of claiming the extra point were dealt a blow just 26 seconds into Overtime when Eddie Bebris was adjudged a tripping penalty to give the Lightning the extra skater and just over a minute later it was all over as Bobby Chamberlain scored the Lightnings first go-ahead goal of the game to give them the victory.

Man of the Match went to Lewis Hook for the Lightning and Craig Scott for the Phantoms, who was watched by his father, and former Milton Keynes player, Paddy Scott.