Eight goals from eight different scorers saw the DALROD sponsored Peterborough Phantoms claim the points in Saturdays clash with the Manchester Phoenix.

The game saw a short benched Phoenix push the Phantoms for the opening two periods, before the Phantoms numerical advantage allowed them to take control of the game.

A bumper crowd was entertained by a fast flowing game, as referee Andy Miller kept his whistle in his pocket unless absolutely necessary, and let these two teams play their game.

The visitors went ahead early in the opening period as the Phantoms had Captain James Ferrara sitting out a tripping penalty. Robin Kovar was given plenty of time on the puck before finding Stanislav Gron skating through the traffic in front of Janis Auzins goal to tip in Kovars pass.

The Phantoms drew level less than a minute later when Will Weldon picked out Craig Scott out on the boards. Scott skated in with the puck before firing the puck between the post and netminder Stephen Fone.

For the next 15 minutes the game flowed as both teams came close to extending their goalscoring. Trent Hope, son of former Peterborough Pirate Shannon Hope, was causing trouble for the Phantoms defence as he setup Gron and former Phantom James Archer who both forced good saves from Janis Auzins. At the other end Ales Padelek was keeping Stephen Fone busy in the Phoenix goal.

Manchester re-took the lead early in the middle period when Archer forced a turnover in the Phantoms zone and his pass found Kovar who skated across the front of Phantoms goal before shooting past Auzins after 24 minutes.

A crazy final 10 minutes of the middle period saw the game momentum swing, alongside 5 goals. First came the Phantoms equalising goal courtesy of Tom Norton. Will Weldon won possession and got the puck to Norton on the Blueline, whose onetime rocket flew through traffic in front of Fone before hitting the back of the net to make it 2-2.

Phoenix refused to give up and took the lead for the 3rd time in the game just 3 minutes later. Trent Hope brought the puck out from behind the Phantoms goal and his pass found the unmarked Jacob Corson-Heron who had the easiest of shots to make it a 2-3 game.

The turning point of the game was the next 3 goals, which were scored by the Phantoms within a 2 minute spell at the end of the period. On 38.18 Will Weldon carried the puck into the Phoenix zone, before dropping the puck to Edgars Bebris whose shot from the blueline trickled under Fone to draw the game level.

Just 20 seconds later, the Phantoms took the lead for the first time in the game. Ales Padelek forced a turnover in front of Fone, and deked the puck around Fone before firing into the empty net.

With just 4 seconds of the period remaining, another shot from the blueline, this time from Cam McGiffin, was tipped in by Lloyd Gibson to give the Phantoms a 5-3 lead at the second break.

The final period started in controversial circumstances when what appeared to be a trip on Will Weldon was called as a Diving penalty on the Phantoms forward. However, the Phantoms made it pay to their advantage with a Shorthanded goal. Marc Levers collected the puck and after skating through the Phoenix defence, he drew Fone out of his goal, and once he had committed himself Levers cooly took the puck around the sprawled out netminder and tapped it into the empty net.

Phantoms were now in full control and two minutes later they scored their 7th of the game. A strong Phoenix attack, saw Janis Auzins save parried out to Cam McGiffin. McGiffin released Martins Susters and Darius Pliskauskas for the 3v2 breakaway, which ended with Pliskauskas firing low through Fones 5-hole.

With 5 minutes of the game remaining, Manchester’s Coach Tony Hand brough Stephen Fone, who had faced 52 shots, back to the bench and gave Phil Spanswick some ice time between the posts.

Phantoms final goal of the game came with just over a minute left and was scored by James White, making his first appearance since injuring his shoulder earlier in the season. Connor Stokes chased Robin Kovar behind the Phoenix goal and a rare Kovar mistake saw him send the puck into the slot, where White was waiting unmarked to fire home past Spanswick to seal a magnificent 8-3 Phantoms victory.

Man of the Match went to Robin Kovar for the Phoenix, and Martins Susters for the Phantoms.