Two weeks ago the DALROD sponsored Peterborough Phantoms fell to a surprising 2-1 defeat in Hull to the leagues bottom club. On Sunday the same Phantoms team gained their revenge with an emphatic 11-0 drubbing of the Pirates.

The Phantoms started the game without Darius Pliskauskas, who picked up a knock in Telford on Saturday, and were also without their Islanders contingent who were away in Lee Valley. Hull started the game with 16 year old Ashley Smith in goal after normal starting netminder Jon Baston was rested after taking a puck to the face on Saturday.

The home team dominated the game from the opening face-off and it took just 5 minutes for the Phantoms to open their account when Milan Baranyks cross goal pass found James Ferrara at the back post.

The Phantoms increased their lead with two goals in 6 seconds at just under 9 minutes of the game. First it was Ales Padelek who released a rocket from the blueline to make it 2-0. From the resulting face-off Marc Levers found Milan Baranyk who weaved his magic through the Pirates defence before turning Smith inside out for a highlight reel goal. The goal signaled a timeout from the shell shocked Pirates as Player Coach Dominic Osman looked to steady the boat.

Phantoms fourth of the game came on 13 minutes when Eddie Bebris tipped in Greg Picks shot from the top of the face-off circle, and their fifth came a minute later when Scott Robson setup Baranyk for his second of the night.

Baranyk completed his hatrick with a minute of the opening period remaining when Craig Scott found him unmarked at the back post for an easy tip-in.

Phantoms still weren’t finished and netted their seventh goal of the opening 20 minutes with 5 seconds of the period remaining as Craig Scott picked up his own rebound to fire low through Smiths 5-hole.

The second period started with both teams swapping Netminders. Janis Auzins, who had faced just 6 shots in the opening stanza was replaced by Adam Long, whilst Smith, who had faced 25 shots in a very busy 20 minutes was replaced by Job Baston.

It took the Phantoms under 3 minutes old before they netted their eighth goal. Tom Nortons shot from the blue line was tipped in through traffic by Will Weldon, leaving Baston no chance.

That goal saw the Phantoms ease off as they looked content to control the puck and protect Adam Long and the Phantoms goal.

It was nearly 30 minutes before the Phantoms found the back of the Hull net again. Just after the 50 minute mark an attempted clearance around the back of Baston’s goal, saw the puck take a freaky deflection back to where it had come from, and whilst the Hull players were looking the wrong way, at where the puck should have been, James Ferrara had the easiest task of putting the puck into the back of the goal.

As the clock ran down there was still time for a further 2 quick goals from the Phantoms. On 58 minutes Baranyk netted his 4th of the game with a neat backhand over Baston’s pads, and 38 seconds later Marc Levers skated through to complete the rout.

The victory took the Phantoms back to the top of the EPL, which they now share with Basingstoke and Milton Keynes. The victory also sealed the Phantoms place in the EPL Cup Semi-Finals.

Man of the Match went to Warren Tait for the Pirates and Milan Baranyk for the Phantoms