The DALROD sponsored Peterborough Phantoms returned to the top of the English Premier League on Sunday evening after a 6-4 victory over the Sheffield Steeldogs.

In their only game of the weekend, the Phantoms twice had to come from behind before a 4 goal haul in 6 minutes of the middle period gave them the advantage.

An even game saw the visitors start strong with Janis Auzins needing to be alert to thwart a two man breakaway from Arnoldas Bosas and Lubomir Kohorn in the opening minutes.

The Steeldogs claimed the first goal of the night on 13 minutes when Ashley Calvert picked up the puck in Phantoms zone, and skated through the slot to shoot across Auzins body.

The Phantoms responded quickly and just 4 minutes later the game was tied at 1-1 as Craig Scott picked out Will Weldon ghosting through the Steeldogs defence to fire the puck into the top corner of Dalibor Sedlars goal.

The middle period was less than 2 minutes old when the Steeldogs reclaimed their lead. A scramble in front of Auzins goal, saw a number of players attempt to get the puck into the goal, before Stanislav Lascek finally managed to get the puck under Auzins and into the back of the net.

With the end to end nature of the match it wasn’t going to be long until the Phantoms drew level again, and the equalising goal was a contender for goal of the season on 23 minutes. Cam McGiffin picked up the puck and shot from the blueline, only to see the puck strike the back of his teammate Marc Levers. As the puck dropped to Levers feet his first backhand shot was blocked by the Steeldogs defence, but the rebound fell back to Levers who made no mistake with his second attempt, whilst falling to the ground !

Straight from the face-off the Steeldogs attacked and it took another good save from Auzins to prevent Korhon from getting his first of the night.

Phantoms took the lead for the 1st time in the game on 26.37 as they stepped it up a gear. Craig Scott broke down the wing and his pass from around the back of the goal found Martins Susters and Will Weldon stabbing at it, before Weldon slipped the puck past Sedlar to make it a 3-2 game.

Two minutes later and the Phantoms scored their 4th of the night thanks to ex-Steeldog Edgars Bebris. After Craig Scott and Ales Padelek had chances in front of the goal, Sedlar dived for a cross crease pass, only to miss the puck and leave himself sprawled on the ice. The puck dropped to Bebris’ stick and he cooly backhanded it into the empty net.

The Phantoms were now controlling the game, and just 40 seconds after the restart the Steeldogs gave the puck away again in their zone. Scott Robson got the puck to Milan Baranyk and his pinpoint cross allowed James Ferrara one-timer to fly through the Steeldogs defence and into the Steeldogs goal.

The final period saw both teams continue to test the netminders, with neither team sitting back on their laurels. As the clock ran down the final 3 minutes would see another 3 goals.

The Steeldogs made it 5-3 on 57 minutes. An attack around the Phantoms goal, saw the goal comes off it’s moorings, but whilst Janis Auzins was flagging this to the officials, they waved play-on and Tom Squires pass found Arnoldas Bosas who fired past Auzins.

A drop in concentration by the Phantoms with 80 seconds of the game remaining saw the visitors make it a 1 goal game. Steeldogs had pulled their netminder for the extra skater and as the puck fell to Auzins he looked to shoot on the empty net but mistimes his play, and is left in no mans land as Ashley Calvert picked up the puck and initially hits the post, before Korhon puts away the rebound.

With just 45 seconds of the game remaining, Marc Levers batted the puck in mid-air on his blueline and watched as it bounced down the ice and into the empty net to seal a 6-4 victory for the Phantoms.

Man of the Match went to Stanislav Lascek for the Steeldogs and Milan Baranyk for the Phantoms.