The DALROD sponsored Peterborough Phantoms suffered only their 3rd regulation time defeat of the season on Sunday as they went down 1-0 to the Swindon Wildcats.

Despite outshooting their opponents by 47 shots to 14, the Phantoms failed to find the back of the net for the first time this campaign.

The opening period saw Stevie Lyle in the Swindon goal the busier of the 2 netminders but he was finding a way to keep the Phantoms forwards at bay.

After surviving their first penalty kill of the night the Wildcats hot the lead on 7 minutes. Steve Whitfields long stretch pass found Tomasz Malasinski on the Phantoms Blue line, and a quick pass to Jonas Hoog saw the Swede pick out Aaron Nell who’s shot creeped through Janis Auzins pads.

The Phantoms turned up the heat on their visitors following the goal and the game looked as though it may explode at any point. A Marc Levers perfectly timed hipcheck on Carl Finucci incensed Sam Bullas who chased down Levers before receiving a 10 minute penalty from referee Matt Thompson. Will Weldon and Aaron Nell were the next two to clash, but the buzzer gave both teams a chance to cool off.

The middle period was more even handed as the Wildcats looked to extend their lead and the Phantoms looked to draw the game level.

The main talking point of the period, apart from Stevie Lyle who was standing on his head to keep the Phantoms scoreless, was Lloyd Gibsons breakaway that ended with him being hooked down. Whilst the Bretton faithful called for a penalty shot, Thompson awarded a face-off whilst sending Wildcats Steve Whitfield to the penalty box for a 2 minute hooking call.

The final period saw the Phantoms pepper Lyles goal with Baranyk, Bebris and Susters all going close as the Wildcats saw themselves unable to break out of their own zone. Despite the Phantoms best efforts they couldn’t find a way past Lyle and as the buzzer sounded both sets of fans applauded the teams for a great display of tactical hockey.

Phantoms Captain, James Ferrara, admitted afterwards that the Phantoms had come across a netminder on the top of his game. “It was a hard working performance from the team tonight, especially with us chasing the game from early on. Lyle stood on his head tonight, and we were unlucky around the front of the net.”

Ferrara continued “Full credit to Swindon, they are on a roll at the moment, beating Milton Keynes last night and then coming here and shutting us out tonight.”

Man of the Match unsurprisingly went to Stevie Lyle for the Wildcats, whilst Tom Norton picked up the beers for the Phantoms.