Two goals in the opening period, and an Empty Net Goal with 3 minutes of the game remaining, condemned the DALROD sponsored Peterborough Phantoms to a second defeat in 24 hours to the table topping Basingstoke Bison on Sunday evening.

The home and away defeats left the Phantoms second in the lead and now 5 points behind the league leaders with a game in hand, at the midway point of the season.

The opening period saw both sides putting on an entertaining 20 minutes of hockey with plenty of action, hits and shots all over the ice. A turnover on the blueline on 4.31 saw Bison’s Captain, Aaron Connolly, find a way past Janis Auzins to give the visitors an early lead.

The goal fired up the Phantoms who started to put more pressure on Jon Baston in the Bison goal with Milan Baranyk and Ales Padelek both coming close to equalising as the period progressed.

As the opening period clock ran down the Bison doubled their lead thanks to Joe Greener. Greener stole the puck in the Phantoms zone before firing low past Auzins to give the visitors a 2-0 lead after the opening 20 minutes.

The middle period saw the Bison camped in their own zone as the Phantoms piled on the pressure in the hunt for their opening goal. Whilst the Phantoms attacks were finding their way past the Bison Forwards and Defence, they were coming up against a netminder having a standout game with Baston frustrating the Phantoms attacks time after time.

Whilst the Phantoms were pushing forward they were exposed to the Bison breakaway attacks, with Janis Auzins being called into action to thwart Rene Jarolin, Miroslav Vantroba and Joe Rand to keep it a 2-0 game going into the final stanza.

A more even final period saw both sides have opportunities to score, but as the clock ran down the Phantoms pulled Janis Auzins in an attempt to score their first of the night. The move nearly worked as a scramble in front of Bastons net saw every player within a 10 foot radius of Baston, either scrambling on the floor, or digging for the puck. When the puck did finally come free it was picked up by Declan Balmer and his pass found Connolly whose long down ice shot bobbled into the Phantoms empty goal with 3 minutes left on the clock.

The goal was the last action of the game and as the buzzer sounded it was the visitors who took the points. Man of the Match went to Jon Baston for the Bison and Greg Pick for the Phantoms.