The DALROD sponsored Peterborough Phantoms claimed a point on Saturday after a late fightback to force overtime in Guildford.

With Janis Auzins being rested ahead of next weekend Play-Offs, Adam Long took up the starting netminder position, backed up by the Phantoms Under 18’s netminder Jack Peacock. The game also saw fellow Under-18 Callum Medcalf make his Phantoms debut.

Darius Pliskauskas scored the games opening goal after 5 minutes to give the Phantoms the early lead. The goal spurred on the Phantoms, and the large number of travelling supporters, and they controlled the opening period. Against the run of play the Flames equalised late on in the period through Ben Campbell after 17 minutes.

Two early penalties to the Flames in the opening minutes of the 2nd period gave the Phantoms an early advantage but despite buzzing around Richard Ullbergs goal they were unable to make the extra numbers count.

Three goals in a 5 minute spell saw the Flames take a slim advantage into the final period. On 26 minutes Andrew McKinney gave the homeside the 2-1 lead, finishing off a nice move setup by Jans Eriksson.

Just two minutes later, and with Flames Captain Jez Lundin sitting a 2 minute elbows penalty, Phantoms Craig Scott picked up a loose puck and skated through the Flames Defence before firing past Ullberg to make it 2-2.

Ben Campbell netted his second of the night on 31 minutes to regain the lead for the Flames.  Two Dealy of Game penalties late on in the period against Will Weldon and Greg Pick gave the Flames a 5-on-3 advantage, but they couldn’t find a way past young Adam Long in the Phantoms net.

The Flames extended their lead to 4-2 on 47 minutes when Tom Duggan scored his first of the night. The Flames fans were still cheering when a Darius Pliskauskas strike less than 2 minutes later brought the game back to 4-3, as the Phantoms refused to rollover and let the Flames walk to an easy victory.

Ben Campbell’s hatrick goal on 52 minutes gave the homeside a 5-3 lead, but despite being behind by 2 goals on the road, the Phantoms refused to give up.

Martins Susters brought the game back to 5-4 on 55 minutes, and then with Adam Long pulled for the extra skater Lloyd Gibson netted the equalising goal with just over a minute of the game remaining.

As the buzzer sounded, the Phantoms had a well earned point as the teams headed into overtime.

Overtime was just 38 seconds old when Tom Duggan found a way past Adam Long for the second time in the game, to hand the extra point to the Flames.

Man of the Match went to Ben Campbell for the Flames and Eddie Bebris for the Phantoms.