The DALROD sponsored Peterborough Phantoms booked their place at the EPL Play-Off Finals weekend with a 5-5 draw on Sunday Night. The result gave them an aggregate 9-6 victory and setup a Semi-Final tie against the Guildford Flames.

After a scoreless opening 20 minutes, the game burst into life in the second period with a 7 goal tally seeing the Phantoms claim a 4-3 lead.

A Stevie Duncombe holding penalty on 19.59 and a Stanislav Lascek hooking penalty just 25 seconds into the 2nd period saw the Phantoms on a two man advantage powerplay, and they used that to punish their visitors.

First Ales Padelek’s long range shot beat Dalibor Sedlar in the Steeldogs net on 20.39 and then on 21.28 Marc Levers bundled the puck into the back of the Sheffield net after a goalmouth scramble.

Stanislav Lascek pulled a goal back for Sheffield on 28.48 with a powerful wristshot that flew over Auzins shoulder. Phantoms regained their two goal advantage on 31.39 thanks to Milan Baranyk’s first of the night, but the Sheffield netted once more less than a minute later through the impressive Cole Shudra.

Phantoms young star Martins Susters made it 4-2 on 34.42 before the periods final goal came from Lubomir Korhon on 36 minutes to make it 4-3 at the break and still all to play for.

Whilst the Phantoms still held a lead going on to the final period, it was the Steeldogs who were gaining the upper hand on their hosts, with Janis Auzins and the Phantoms defence being the busier players on the ice.

Andrew Hirst drew the game level on 45 minutes and then netted his second on 53 minutes to give the Steeldogs the lead on the night.

With the Steeldogs looking the more dangerous team, a minute of madness killed off their hopes of pulling off a comeback and claiming a spot in Coventry.

On 55.38 Craig Elliott had a coming together with Janis Auzins and was assessed a 2 minute tripping penalty. Steeldogs coach Greg Wood was so incensed that he also picked up a 10 minute misconduct call.

When the game restarted a would up Stanislav Lascek went out to check any Phantom he could reach, but a check to the head to Connor Stokes saw Lascek given a 2+10 penalty. Lewis Bell disagreed with referee Stephen Matthews call and found himself with a 10 minute misconduct. With the penalty box full, and tempers fraying, Wood and Lascek were sent to the dressing room, must to Lasceks displeasure.

With a 2 man advantage the Phantoms camped out in the Steeldogs zone, and on 56.32 Milan Baranyk netted an equaliser with a shot from a tight angle that beat Sedlar at the near post.

Phantoms pulled Auzins in favour of Adam Long with under a minute to go, and 3 seconds later Steeldogs Callum Pattison was given a Match penalty for Fighting for jumping Phantoms Greg Pick at the face-off.

Man of the Match awards went to the impressive Andrew Hirst for the Steeldogs and Martins Susters for the Phantoms.