Week 1 of the 2016/17 English Premier League campaign saw the Peterborough DALROD Phantoms start with a road trip to Sheffield on Saturday to face the Steeldogs.

It was the Phantoms who started the stronger of the two teams and with just 3.32 on the clock, Tom Stubley netted the Phantoms first goal of the season.

Despite the Steeldogs having twice as many shots as the Phantoms in the opening 20 minutes, 12 to 6, it was the Phantoms who took the lead into the first break.

Steeldogs drew level on 23.29 when former Phantoms Donatas Kumeliauskas setup Andrew Hirst to fire past Janis Auzins. Minutes later and a mistimed hit on the boards by Kumeliauskas resulted in the Lithuanian having to leave the game with an ankle injury.

The Phantoms looked to take advantage of Steeldogs loss and reclaim their lead but with just 16 seconds of the period remaining Hirst broke through the Phantoms defence to net his second of the game.

The final period saw both teams playing a cagey game as they both looked to claim the next vital goal, but despite Steeldogs running into penalty trouble late on, the Phantoms were unable to find the net handing the Steeldogs the opening points of the season.

Sunday night saw the Swindon Wildcats visit Peterborough as the Phantoms looked to bounce back from their opening game defeat.

The Phantoms ripped into their opponents in a blistering opening period that saw them find the back of Stevie Lyles net of 4 occasions.

Petr Stepanek needed just 53 seconds to give the Phantoms the lead on the Phantoms first attack of the game.

Wildcats responded on 4.16 when Toms Rutkis fired the puck past Janis Auzins from the slot.

Darius Pliskauskas made it a 2-1 game on 10.39 after some good build-up play by James Archer and on 12.18 it was 3-1 as James Ferrara found a way past Lyle.

Swindon Coach Aaron Nell called an immediate time-out in order to regroup his troops, but just 19 seconds after the restart it was 4-1 to the Phantoms as a Tom Norton shot from the Blueline whizzed past Lyle and into the back of the net.

If the visitors thought they had a chance to salvage the game after a 4-1 opening period, they had a mountain to climb just 21 seconds into the middle period when James Archer got on the scoresheet with the Phantoms fifth of the game.

Whilst the Wildcats matched the Phantoms shot for shot, it was the Phantoms who looked the more likely to increase their lead further as the Wildcats failed to click as a team.

Younsgter Martins Susters netted the Phantoms 6th and final goal on 49.37 and just to round off an entertaining evening for the Phantoms fans, Tom Norton and Kyle Smith dropped the gloves a minute later.

So, week 1 see’s the Phantoms with one win and one loss from two tough games. Next week they face another tough weekend when they travel to Milton Keynes on Saturday before hosting last seasons top team, the Basingstoke Bison on Sunday.