The Waldeck sponsored Peterborough Phantoms secured a place in the Play-Off Grand Final on Saturday evening, with a 5-4 Overtime victory over the Telford Tigers. They will now face the Leeds Knights in Sunday afternoon's season finale.

In front of a sold-out crowd at the Coventry Skydome, the Phantoms were bolstered by the return of Brad Bowering and Lukas Slodkovsky, both of whom has missed last Sundays clash with the Seahawks in Peterborough.

Telford started the stronger of the two teams, but Jordan Marr was standing tall in the Phantoms goal, blocking everything that the Tigers could send his way. It was the Phantoms who opened the scoring on 14:51 when Luke Ferrara found Jarvis Hunt who fired home from close range.

Phantoms extended their lead on 24.54 when Lukas Sladkovsky fired the puck home past Brad Day in the Tigers goal. Less than two minutes later we were back to a 1 goal game, when Harry Ferguson netted past Jordan Marr.

Ferguson took a Delay of Game penalty on 32.24, but the Phantoms powerplay failed to take advantage and when Tigers Scott McKenzie picked up the puck on a breakaway his shorthanded goal drew the teams level again at 33.46.

Phantoms kept fighting and on 36.56 Connor Glossop gave the Phantoms the lead once more. Ales Padelek picked up the puck behind the Tigers net, and whilst the Tigers defence stood and watched him, he found Glossop in front of the net for the simplest of goals.

With the clock running down, Ales Padelek showed the Tigers why he is so dangerous on the puck as he skated through their defence before a deft backhand put the puck behind Brad Day and gave the Phantoms a 2 goal lead on 39.14. The goal was Padi's 250th career goal.

Tigers kept up the pressure in the final period and pulled a goal back on 48.34 thanks to Finley Howells. The levelled the game on 56.40 when James Smith made a pass from the corner which found Joe Aston unmarked in front of the Phantoms goal, and suddenly the game was all square.

With the teams tied after 60 minutes, the game went into 5 minutes of 3-on-3 sudden death overtime. Tigers started the stronger of the teams, but on 1.16 a Phantoms attack saw Callum Buglass fire the puck into the Tigers goal and the Phantoms were into the grand final.

Man of the Match went to Scott McKenzie for the Tigers and Austin Mitchell-King for the Phantoms.

Phantoms now face the Leeds Knights at 4pm on Sunday in the Play-Off Grand Final.

This site uses cookies. By continuing your visit, you accept their use as set out in our Cookie Policy. OK